CTO of Matchless IT
Nick Kershner is a Founder of Matchless IT and fills the role of CTO day to day. While he spends his time finding solutions that help Matchless IT serve their clients better, he enjoys connecting with like-minded people and answering questions on Social Media. While always watching out for solutions to help Matchless IT’s clients grow and strengthen, Nick enjoys writing about what he discovers.
You can reach Nick by either commenting on one of his posts, or contacting him at his offices.
Safe Sharing with SharePoint and OneDrive
Linking to files rather than attaching files or documents is a more efficient and safer way to share information with colleagues and business associates. For our Healthcare friends; we know that emailing charts ANYWHERE, even if it’s internal, is a HUGE no-no. By utilizing OneDrive, you can EMAIL PHI and PII within your organization, and keep it locked away from criminal activity.
These days email attachments get blocked or are simply ignored due to security issues. There can also be compatibility issues if one or more recipients doesn’t use Microsoft Word. You also have control of who edits the file; so if you want to keep it read only for your PA or surgical assistants, you have that power. It’s also possible to change permissions later if needed.
The beautiful simplicity of this system is, you can do this with just a click or two right in the ‘Compose Email’ box. Recipients don’t even have to be using Office or Word to see it – the viewers are built right into the web viewer.
Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better.
— Pat Riley
Here is a quick “How To” for those of you that want to try this out – it’s VERY simple.
- First thing is to create your email and attach the file(s) you want to send.
- Click the Down Arrow on the attachment
- Select Upload
- Choose which OneDrive you would like to upload to if you have more than one (which is normally the case). Do NOT use your personal account (if your org allows it – find “Block OneDrive Personal accounts using Intune and OneDrive on Android” on the Microsoft page)!
- Once you Upload the file, it starts off as “Anyone Can Edit” – you must change this to stay compliant! We don’t want just ANYONE looking at this, so we need to change it.
- Make sure to adjust the permissions on the shared document! It will start with “Anyone can edit”. This means that anyone with the link, regardless of login or security, has the ability to view and edit – and for HIPAA or any other compliance standard for that matter, will be violated. (Note: Matchless IT has a feature request in to Microsoft to be able to control what security levels for files are available to your users, on a global level.)
- Double-check your security level and complete your email, then click send!
- You have now officially sent a secure, HIPAA compliant attachment!! That’s wasn’t so bad, was it?
Now that you know how it works, are you ready to put this to work for you? Office 365 for Healthcare has always been there, Microsoft just keeps making these features easier to use for everyone.
If what you’ve seen here is something of interest to you, let’s touch base to discuss this amazing feature and some of the other incredible things Office 365 can do for you.
Want to talk more about Office 365?